30 Jan 2009

WHERE HAS THE VOLUNTEER SPIRIT GONE?

The recent floods in Kota Marudu sadden me to see that people today no longer have enough volunteer spirit to serve. Where has that volunteer spirit gone? 

Nowadays, without rewards or payments not many people will come forward to serve the community. There is also some people only come forward when somebody give an order or instruction.  

I kept thinking also, why I do this volunteering for? Why do I exhaust myself? For rewards? No. Fame and glory? No. Then I remembered a friend said to me on 2nd day of my volunteer duties “Letty, lucky you are here helping us, thank you if you need any help from us in the future just call, we’ll be there without hesitation, kalu ko bah...”. I smiled at them. Now I understand why I did it. May god blesses those people volunteered for flood duties that day.

People should realise that the work of volunteers is very noble. This spirit of volunteerism stems from that of love, compassion and care. A combination of all these spirits is very much needed in our present world of greed, strife, hate, and materialism. What is happening in our world now is endangering the survival of mankind, and unless such a situation is checked and balanced with these noble values, I am afraid the lives of our new generations to come will be threatened. 

So... Parents/ Teachers/ Leaders out there should set an example and promote volunteer spirit to the young generations. If the spirit of volunteerism extinct, may god help us all.

Qoutes to ponder:-
"Be of service. Whether you make yourself available to a friend or co-worker, or you make time every month to do volunteer work, there is nothing that harvests more of a feeling of empowerment than being of service to someone in need."
"The miracle is not that we do this work, but that we are happy to do it. "

No comments: